when a bit of effort pays off

Lest anyone think I don’t appreciate the effort it takes for a guy to make his move, I thought I’d share some of the flirtations and moves that have made a positive impression…the examples of what does work.

…like the guy who begins dancing with me and politely asks, “Would you like to dance for a little while?” It’s simple and straightforward, and even though we’re technically already dancing together, the invitation is cute.

…like the guy who isn’t able to ask for my number at the time, but seeks it out through mutual connections later. My initial disappointment is far surpassed by the pleasant surprise of an unexpected phone call (and flowers!) a few days later.

…like the guy who says to me while I’m dancing, “Do you have any idea how hot you are?” Blunt, yes. But when I’ve been noticing him, too, this can work particularly well.

…like the guy who gets up from his table to open the door of the restaurant as my friend and I enter, and explains the action to his friends by saying, “I couldn’t help it after seeing this (‘this’ being me and my friend).” Smooth and well-mannered always go together nicely.

…like the guy who follows up my “oh, that’s a long story” comment with an invitation to share the story over drinks. Showing interest in my stories and parlaying that into an opportunity to meet is an impressive combination.

…like the guy in the lane next to mine who cheers for me when it’s my turn to bowl. Followed up with an introduction, this is an endearing move.

…like the guy across the aisle of the plane who notices me looking out the window at the rain, and asks if I have far to drive in the bad weather. This approach not only offers me the opportunity to reciprocate the question, but also creates potential for further casual conversation.

However, there is one caveat here. No matter how good the pick-up line, I still have to be at least a little attracted to you. It’s just the way it is. If I am, though…the difference between success and failure rests entirely in that all-important pick-up line.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: Airframe by Michael Crichton, and yes, the autobiography of the Dalai Lama

Comments

Popular Posts