do they make pills for this?!

My senior year of college, I went through this phase where every guy I seemed to meet/date was in the military. This was not in any way a conscious effort on my part...it just kinda happened. A lot. So much so that my friends still joke about it now. (It also didn't help matters when I ended up marrying one of those military guys!)

So last Thursday, I'm flying home from Atlanta and it had been a long day. As in, I got to the airport at 8 a.m. and didn't get on a plane until after 1 p.m. (the time I should have been arriving in Harrisburg, mind you.). Thankfully, the flight wasn't very crowded, so I had the row on my side of the aisle to myself. Across the aisle, in the same row, was a somewhat handsome guy...not gorgeous, but good-looking in that laidback, outdoorsy kind of way. We exchanged a couple of random comments at the beginning of the flight, but didn't really chat until the plane landed, when he started a conversation by commenting on the rain outside and asking if I was visiting or coming home. So I ask where he's from, and he says he lives in North Carolina. "Oh really?", I ask. "Where in NC?" Because that seems like a great topic to land on in my conversation with this good-looking guy, having lived there for six years and still having ties. But what does he say in return?

"Fort Bragg."

That would be the local Army base in North Carolina. And yes, Army is military. Sigh. So I'm back to this? Is dating military men that much a part of my fate? Double sigh. All I could think of was how much Catt would laugh when she heard this (which she did, heartily!)...and what the good-looking guy in town on a PR trip for the Army might have said if I'd asked him to hang out while he was in town (which I didn't).

Where I am: Home
What I'm reading: A Death in Belmont by Sebastian Junger

Comments

Popular Posts