focus: making the most of an unexpected day

With my new job, for the first time in many years, I am an hourly employee instead of salaried. While there is certainly an advantage to having a Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm kind of schedule, the transition into that schedule has actually not been an easy one...in part because I'm the only one in a seven-person department who is hourly, and in part because that's just not how my brain functions after so many years of extended-hours work.  

It also means that my Director and I have to be very thoughtful about when I need to work overtime, and where I can use comp time to balance at least some of that overtime without taking away from the ongoing responsibilities of my position. Thus it was that I found myself taking this past Friday as a comp day - to help offset the many extra hours I'd worked during our "start of the semester" busy season.

Initially, I was frustrated - because any time a busy season subsides, I want to turn my attention back to other work that may have been pushed aside. But then I realized what a gift this day to myself really was, and chose to FOCUS on making the most of it.

Chocolate chip peanut butter toast for breakfast - always a win for the tastebuds.

Even on my days off, my morning devotion is a must.

I also did some adulting - scheduling appointments for me (at the chiropractor) and for my car (for a 100,000-mile service).

With the adulting done, it was off to the pool I went. The lovely thing about a Friday morning at the pool is having it all to myself.

Lounging in the sun and reading by the pool can be tiring.

Eventually, I got ready for the rest of the day. Yay for comfy clothes that look decently stylish.

An iced chai is always a good choice!

I took the slow route through the countryside to get to a new nail salon someone recommended.

I tried the dip powder manicure on a whim, and was very pleased with the results! (That my nails matched my pants was an amusing extra.)

I also liked how my toes looked after the pedicure; and am so happy to have found a nail salon that I like.

The weather was pleasant enough that I couldn't resist spending some time on the patio when I got home.

Always one to take full advantage of patio weather, I enjoyed dinner and more reading outside as the evening progressed, too.

I spent the rest of my evening watching Netflix and editing photos on my computer. All in all, it was a lovely day of relaxing and accomplishing...and that felt just right.

Comments

Popular Posts