a plateful of orzo with sausage



This is one of those recipes that I found in the November-December issue of Semi-Homemade. You know the type - a recipe that you think might be worth a try, and that ends up becoming a go-to favorite. It was super easy to put together, and the flavors blend so smoothly! So I couldn't resist sharing the recipe (with some minor modifications to reflect my tastes):

ingredients
2 and 3/4 cups, chicken broth
16 ounces, orzo pasta
1 cup, finely chopped onion (I used white)
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon, Italian seasoning
1 package, smoked turkey sausage, chopped or sliced *

instructions
1. In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo, onion, bell pepper and Italian seasoning.

2. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until orzo is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. (I had to add a bit more chicken broth before the next step, because I didn't turn the heat down low enough...I imagine it will vary a little for everyone.)

3. Stir in sausage. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until heated through. Garnish with parmesan, if desired. Serve and enjoy!

* The original recipe is Orzo with Beans and Sausage and calls for a can of light red kidney beans to be added with the sausage. But Wildcat Guy and I both felt like the texture of the beans didn't go well with the texture of the orzo...since it added little in terms of flavor, I'll most likely leave the beans out in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts