i believe in optimism




I consider myself an optimist. Granted, my brand of optimism comes packaged with plenty of sarcasm and dark humor...but it's optimism nonetheless. It is a conscious choice I make to see the good in life...to recognize the silver lining in even the darkest of stormy clouds. And while I like to hope that others are able to recognize that optimism in my spirit and my character, it's not something I stop to think about or consider.

But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate when someone recognizes or acknowledges it. For example...earlier this week, I'd asked an older man who'd contacted me through Match.com what it was about me (a younger woman by 16 years) that he found interesting. It made me so happy to see that, amongst a handful of other things, he listed this: "Optimist."

And then, yesterday, with this on my mind, I was thrilled to see these lovely pieces in the DailyOm reflection, connecting optimism to our life's course, to our ability to effect change...

"Optimistic thoughts energize people, giving them hope and inspiring them to work diligently on behalf of what they believe in. Being for something creates a positive shift in the universe, which means that neither you nor those who share your vision will have any trouble believing that transformation on a grand scale is indeed possible. To be against something is typically easy, as you need only speak out in opposition to it. Standing up for something is often more challenging, because you may be introducing an idea to people that may scare them on a soul level.

Throughout your life, you have likely been told that the actions of one person will seldom have a measurable impact on the world. Yet your willingness to stand up for what you believe in instead of decrying what you oppose can turn the tides of fate. The thoughts you project when you choose to adopt a positive perspective will provide you with a means to actively promote your values and, eventually, foster lasting change."


Amazing. I love considering the ways that an optimistic outlook could have effects far beyond what we might see or understand!

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: judicial case files

Comments

Popular Posts