buying my ticket


“Of course God already knows what I need. The question is – do I know? Casting yourself at God’s feet in helpless desperation is all well and good – heaven knows, I’ve done it myself plenty of times – but ultimately you’re likely to get more out of the experience if you can take some action on your end. There’s a wonderful old Italian joke about a poor man who goes to church every day and prays before the statue of a great saint, begging, “Dear saint – please, please, please…give me the grace to win the lottery.” This lament goes on for months. Finally the exasperated statue comes to life, looks down at the begging man and says in weary disgust, “My son – please, please, please…buy a ticket.”

(from Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert)

Sunday evening, I officially bought my ticket. After months and months (and months!) of browsing through other people’s profiles and wavering with the idea, I finally decided to give online dating a try. Eeeek. I don’t feel ready for it – at all – but as I told my friend Tabitha, if I wait until I’m ready, I’ll never do it. Besides – I’ve long ago lost count of the number of prayers I’ve prayed, asking “ ‘please, please, please…’ let me meet my Mr. Right.” So I can’t help but wonder if God’s not sitting there thinking, “My child – ‘please, please, please…’ put yourself out there.”

Well, alright God – here I am, putting myself out there in the only way I can think of.

So what happens now?!

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg

Comments

Joy said…
Good luck with your new adventure! I met my husband through an online relationship service. We'll be married 5 years this year and now have 2 children. I know there would have been no way I could have met someone as wonderful as him if it wasn't for the Internet. Plus, he was living in Georgia and I was living in Nevada at the time. Just keep an open mind and enjoy the experience! :)
Lee said…
Wow! So you not only tried online dating, but also long-distance dating...that sounds so overwhelming to me.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm sure there will be interesting stories to come. =)
Kat McNally said…
Good for you, Lee!
The universe sees your bravery in putting yourself out there. Because not only are you saying, "Yes, I would like to be in a loving relationship", you are saying "I am ready for it because I know that I am a good person who deserves to meet my equal."
The universe hears you, and you are also illuminating the path for other souls who are not quite yet ready to be brave.
That special person is on their way to you. It might not happen overnight, and it mightn't be clear why you have to meet other people first (and have all sorts of funny/mortifying/eye-opening dating adventures). But they are on their way.

Popular Posts