what the heck is not to like?! **


As I prepare to finally try the world of online dating, I’ve taken great care to craft an online profile that stays genuine to who I am yet also puts that proverbial best foot forward. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t thought about what I’d really like to say, if I wanted to put it all out there. It goes something like this:

There are two important things to know about me – I’m an extremely independent person, and I’m a old-fashioned hopeless romantic. To quote Jennifer Aniston’s character in the movie “Rumor Has It” – “I can live without you. I just don’t want to.”

Because here’s the thing – I have a career I love; a fantastic circle of friends; a healthy relationship with my parents; a cat that I am a good mama to; and a cozy, comfortable apartment to call home. Sure, I might be stubborn, silly, contrary, perfectionist and (when it comes to exercise) unmotivated - but I am intelligent, caring, kind, thoughtful, hard-working, creative, honest and happy. I have my own hobbies, interests, passions and dreams. And overall, life in my corner of the world is good.

With one exception. Lately, even with friends and family around, life in my corner of the world has felt a little bit lonely. I thought I’d found the person I would spend the rest of my life with…and then after a few years, he decided that he wasn’t happy with me anymore. Something about him having made assumptions about me that proved to be different from the reality that evolved. (What’s that they say about assume?) Seeing that relationship end broke my heart. Horribly. Thankfully, it’s healed since then – but not without leaving me with a longing for the small comforts and joys that come from sharing life with someone.

What will that someone be like? He will be a gentleman – someone who brings me my favorite flowers for no reason and who opens my car door for me even though he can unlock it with the push of a button. He will be genuine, confident, kind, compassionate and Christian. He will share my interests in college football, movies, traveling and being outdoors – but also have a life and interests of his own. He will hold me close, yet give me space; and most importantly, while he will challenge me to be the best person I can, he will love me for the person I am right now (not the person he thinks I should become).

Still interested? Please let me know...because, yes, I do expect you to make the first move.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Prayer Walk by Janet Holm McHenry

** originally expressed in a moment of great frustration as “what the fuck is not to like?” - because yes, I occasionally curse, too.

Comments

OH Joneses said…
love it!!
Lee said…
Thanks!! The little devil on my shoulder keeps saying, "use this one, use this one!"...but I don't want to scare them off before I even meet them! =)

Popular Posts