"that's just life baby..."


"Don't work yourself up,
Don't work yourself up,
Don't work yourself up
too much, too much, love."

Tonight, I had a moment. I was frustrated because I realized that I'd scheduled two major conduct hearings for the same day and time...then the colleague whom I'd asked for help said no, and that just frustrated me more. Not because of the response...at least, not really. What amplified my frustration was the fact that I wasn't surprised by the response. In other words, there's history there.

And yes - I realize I was being completely ridiculous. I made a simple mistake...granted, a mistake that makes me look a bit incompetent and potentially creates unnecessary delays...but a simple mistake nonetheless. And yet - I'm annoyed at my colleague for not helping me bail myself out?

Then Security Guy called. He listened to me explain what had happened. He listened to me vent my frustration, especially with myself. And then he said the one thing I needed to hear more than anything else - "Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure it will turn out fine." It was just what I needed to hear. Nevermind that I continued fretting about it after we ended our conversation, or that I still have to resolve the mix-up. Because stuck in amongst the stress and worry in my head (and my heart) were his kind words and gentle tone...a hug of sorts that reminded me it was okay.

He knew just what to say...just how to say it. And that meant more than I could possibly explain.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: just finished The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

(lyrics from "Don't Work Yourself Up" by Tristan Prettyman)

Comments

OH Joneses said…
Lord knows all that fretting and frustration have led me to nowhere lately: so don't go there!

Popular Posts