on the eve of 31




Balance. Quiet. Rest. Breath. Stillness.

These are the words that have surrounded me in the past couple of weeks...the concepts that have presented themselves in reflections, sermons, readings and conversations all around me. And I'm thankful for the subtle consistency of this message. Because I'm sad to say these are also the values I have not been recently honoring in my daily life.

The past month has been anything but balanced, quiet, restful and still. There was staff training...campus move-in...unexpected student conduct cases...and all the little dramas that accompany the beginning of a new semester. Add in making time for friends, family and oh yeah - Security Guy...it's been a crazy four or five weeks.

So now...as I think about how good 30 has been and look forward to all that 31 will bring...I'm mindful that these words have been placed in my path purposefully. And I remember that the choice to honor them - to welcome the benefit they will bring - is mine alone.

31 is a year that I've "never lived before and will never live again." If I can live it with balance, quiet, rest, breath and stillness - then it will be a very good year indeed.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

(quote excerpted from a prayer by the Reverend Dr. Katie Cannon)

Comments

Popular Posts