observations of a shopping enthusiast


After a long week, I decided to combine my need to get away from campus with a desire to refresh my wardrobe for the summer, and spent the afternoon shopping. Browsing through the racks, trying on clothes in the dressing rooms, I realized a few things about how I shop...

~~ Somehow, no matter how many items are on sale, I will end up liking the one item that's not.

~~ Having worked in high-end retail with in-house tailor service for two years, I can see not only how clothes do fit, but also how they could fit...with a waistband taken in here, or a strap shortened there. Which should be expected to broaden my choices. Except that, since I don't have Mom close enough to help me with alterations (and since I'm not all that great with a needle and thread), I just get frustrated when I find clothes that almost fit.

~~ Every shopper has a weakness. Mine is definitely shoes. I saw four different pairs that I would have loved to buy, even though I have nothing to wear them with...and two more pairs that were so difficult to choose between that I bought neither. Sigh. Someday, I'm going to need an entire closet just for my shoes.

~~ When buying clothes for particular occasions, I now have to consider the baby factor - that is, whether my friends will have their babies or little children there. Because a great little strapless sundress will not be so great if my friend's ten-month old inadvertently pulls on it while I'm holding her.

But most importantly...

~~ I shop more smartly now than I ever have. Not so long ago, I had a closet full of cute, but mismatched pieces. Today, so many times, I found myself thinking about how what I was buying would go with what I had at home. That, friends, is called progress.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos

Comments

Popular Posts