knowing i'm in a good place, working for good people




I have this inspirational card hanging on the bulletin board at my desk that includes the reminder to "do what you love." It's something I've always believed in - that if I love what I do professionally, if I find it rewarding and satisfying, then I can take the frustrations and challenges in stride. Because it means those difficulties are balanced out...that, most days, I can leave the office looking forward to coming back in the next day.

As much as I value loving what I do, though, I've learned over the years that it's equally important to love where it is that I'm doing that work...that even the best job can lose its appeal if I'm not in a supportive, constructive, positive environment. So I've felt extremely blessed that, in the past nine months, I've been able to immerse myself in a job that I love, and been surrounded with students and colleagues who make this campus a thriving, amazing place to be at.

And my supervisor? Plays such a huge role in making my department the place it is. From the beginning of my time here, I've understood that he is the type of person who is always available to talk with his staff...to offer us his guidance...to help us learn and improve. But yesterday, I had an experience that put the exclamation point on just how wonderful and amazing my supervisor is. Yesterday, I had an extremely difficult conversation with a student...the kind of conversation that goes round and round in circles...the kind of conversation when I don't feel like I have any chance of making a difference in this student's ability to recognize the impact of their behavior...the kind of conversation that led me to seek out my supervisor's advice...the kind of conversation that left me so frustrated that I walked into his office, sat down and cried just a little bit.



Cried. In front of my boss. And in his kind, compassionate, leaderly way, he calmed me...affirmed my actions...and helped me decide what to do next. Without judgment. Without concern.

It's days like yesterday that remind me why I love what I do...and why I'm so blessed to be in this place.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

Comments

Popular Posts