learning by doing


"No child should ever die of preventable causes. Every day, 25,000 do. Believe in zero." (UNICEF)

A couple of weeks ago, the student chaplains on campus announced plans for a 28-hour fast to raise awareness for UNICEF, and extended an invitation to the faculty, staff and students to join them in their efforts. My first thought was, "I don't think so...there's no way I could go for 28 hours on only water."

Then the chaplain director, whom I look up to and respect immensely, began hinting around in our department, inviting the rest of us to join her and the student chaplains in this challenge. Again, I thought, "I can't imagine not eating for 28 hours." Then I realized - that was the point! I had no idea what it would be like to go without food for such a long period of time...even though one person in seven goes to bed hungry every day.

So I agreed to undertake the challenge...with no clue how long I'd make it, but recognizing that giving it a try seemed better than not trying at all. So on Friday morning, after eating a small breakfast of oatmeal and OJ, I filled up my water bottle for the first of many times and started my fast.



The morning was easy. In fact, it wasn't until about 3 pm - when it sank in (physically) that there would be no lunch that day - that I began feeling the hunger. My stomach started growling, I got a bit grouchy...I was a bit of a fussy bear. It was difficult once I got home, too, with my kitchen full of food right there. But I persevered...kept drinking my water...and stuck to it. I even turned down fresh-from-the-oven brownies at the auto shop!

Then, late this morning, I got to be with the student chaplains for their final reflections about their experiences, and for their fast-breaking lunch of soup and bread. The conversations were so insightful, and the simple homemade meal was delicious. It was an amazing couple of hours.



What will stay with me the longest, though, is how easy this actually was. It made me realize how little of the food I consume every day is essential...how much of the food I eat is probably spurred by psychological motives, not physiological hunger...how easily I could (and should) change my habits to eat better, and waste less. And yes, these are things I knew before. Please know that I'm in no way trying to claim that I was ignorant of these issues before I participated in this fast. But apparently, the old adage that you learn best from personal experience is true. I can honestly say that doing this has changed how I look at food...changed my perception of what it would be like to go without food.

And coming just a week before I participate in an Alternative Spring Break trip to Washington, DC that is centered around the issues of hunger and homelessness, this experience more clearly underscored for me what some might consider the most significant question of all:

How will I use the knowledge and awareness I'm gaining to make some type of difference - any type of difference - in the future?

I can't say that I have the answers right now. But I know I want to find them.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson

Comments

Popular Posts