me? drop off the face of the earth? not likely.


The only thing disappointing about the second date last night? Was the invitation I received this evening for a third date.

Let me back up. The second date - dinner - was just as good as the first. Lots of conversation (including a talk that helped me discard one of my original hesitations about him)...the ability to be myself and comfortable around him...and that continued sense of wanting to spend even more time with him. The best part was that, when our date ended last night, I already knew when I would see him again, since I've become a regular at his Thursday TV night get-togethers.

Then this afternoon, I got an email from him asking when he could see me again (besides tonight, with other people there). No subtle "we should hang out again sometime" or "let's do that again"...just a simple direct question - "when can I see you again?" - that made it very clear he wants to keep spending time with me, too. So my first reaction was along the lines of "aww...." and "yay!" Until I realized that he was asking if I was busy Friday or Saturday night. Darn it. Because I am. Busy. My friend Tabitha and I are going on a scrapbook retreat this Friday and Saturday.

But honestly? Even though I'm a little disappointed, the wiser part of my heart is glad I had the opportunity to say no to him. Because no matter how much I like a guy...no matter how well things may be going...no matter what Tabitha might think (ahem!)...spending time with my friends will always be so super important to me. And if a guy doesn't understand that, well...he's not the right guy for me. Because while I realize that "friends time" requires a bit more balancing in a relationship, especially if a guy and I have different circles of friends, I don't ever want to be that girl who starts dating a guy and drops off the face of her friends' earth. My friends are the people who have been there for me in the past and will continue to be there for me in the future (I hope!)...and the best way I know to show my friends how valuable they are to me is to make sure I create time for them.

Thankfully, Cute Guy seemed to understand when I told him I wasn't available Friday or Saturday...seemed to realize that it wasn't that I didn't want to spend time with him, but rather that I'd already made other plans. And we were able to make plans to see each other Sunday evening. But just knowing that he seemed a bit disappointed that we wouldn't see each other before that...well, it made me feel good about where this could be heading.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Blood Brothers by Elias Chacour

Comments

Popular Posts