when a dress is more than a dress

When is a dress not just a dress? When it’s a wedding dress.



A wedding dress – no matter how simple or ornate – represents a woman’s dreams…of an unforgettable wedding day, and of a lifetime of love and happiness. Now, this can make finding the perfect gown the most difficult part of planning the wedding. But oh, the fun of it...and the joy of wearing that dress on what you believe will be one of the best days of your life!



But once that special day is over, that lovely gown…the one that took hours and hours of searching and browsing and fittings to find…is cleaned, boxed and put away in some safe place (that you may not even know about until you ask your mom six years later).



So I was excited to hear about this amazing organization that offers women the opportunity to do something extremely meaningful with their wedding dresses. Because for a couple of years now, I’ve pondered what to do with mine. It’s not exactly something I wanted to drop off at Goodwill…but I hadn’t completely warmed up to the idea of placing it in a consignment store, either. But this – this was something I could be happy with…an easy decision I could feel really good about.

Until this afternoon, when it was time to get my dress ready to mail. The minute I opened the display box in which it had been preserved, I felt myself getting choked up. It was this overwhelming range of emotions – sentimental, happy, wistful, and yes – sad.



Pulling my wedding dress out, seeing the lovely embroidery and beading again, remembering how beautiful and excited I felt on my wedding day…well, as content as I am with my place in life right now, I couldn’t help feeling a sense of longing for the happiness and hope of that day. To quote a Pink song, “who knew” that three years and some months later, “you’d be long gone” and the dress would be nothing more than a pretty souvenir from a different place and time in my life? Who knew then that my dress would be nothing more than a good deed?



All I can pray for is that this dress - my dress - will bring joy to someone else's special day, and in doing so, bring comfort to a family that deserves it.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: Wicked, and The Faith Club

Comments

Colleen ~

I think it's so wonderful that you're donating your dress to someone who can use it.

I know that, without a doubt, the woman who wears it next will feel so happy and blessed.

Kudos to you for a great deed :)
Anonymous said…
You looked awesome in that dress. And it's great you're giving the dress a chance to make someone else very happy. That's probably a lot better than hanging out in a box for another six years. Good choice!
Anonymous said…
So you didit? You sent your dress? If so, I'm going to commit to getting mine out THIS week! Oh-- I hope you have a good trip to PA ;) We'd love to see you if you get a chance!

Popular Posts