the stupid things people say (tourist edition)

I’ll admit, I make some pretty ridiculous comments sometimes…but that doesn’t prevent me from being amused (and sometimes floored) at the stupid things other people say. Especially tourists. Tourists always have entertaining things to say.



Exhibit 1, National Zoo:
As I’m taking photos of the spectacled bear (which I thought was pronounced “speck-tuh-culled”, emphasis on the first syllable), three teenagers walk up to the sign to find out what kind of bear they’re seeing. “Oh,” one of them says. “This is the speck-tack-ulled bear.” (emphasis on the second syllable) Hmm.



Example 2, on the Mall:
As I’m walking into the Museum of Natural History, two girls and a guy are walking out. One of the girls looks over, sees the Capitol building and says, “Look, there’s the White House.” Sigh.



Example 3, at Arlington Cemetery:
As Dan and I are standing at Robert F. Kennedy’s grave, one guy reads the gravestone to his friend. “Robert Francis Kennedy…(long confused pause)…is that Bobby?” Stifled smirk.

And then there’s always this gem of a comment, made in dramatically remorseful fashion by those who don’t pay any attention to what’s going on around them, thus walking right in front of someone taking a picture:

“Oh, I hope I didn’t ruin your picture.”

Yeah, I heard that one a number of times in DC…usually from someone whose head was now beautifully framed in the picture I had just taken. Thank goodness for digital cameras!

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer, and The Faith Club

Comments

Popular Posts