ooops...i thought everyone knew

On one of my last nights in DC, I had dinner at a delicious Lebanese place with Shannon, Dan and his wife Katie. While we ate, our conversation ventured into a discussion about tattoos...at first, tattoos in general, but then lower back tattoos, specifically...including a line from "Wedding Crashers" (which I've not seen) in which a guy says that a lower back tattoo on a woman "might as well be a target." Which was funny. In fact, the whole discussion was kinda interesting.

Then, as we're talking, Shannon used a title I'd never heard before - "tramp stamp." Huh? She explained that "tramp stamp" is a commonly used, more...derogatory name for lower back tattoos. Oh. Okay. I chuckled, said "gee, thanks" and let the conversation continue. Because being the good friend she is, I know she's not calling me (her friend with a small lower back tattoo) a tramp...just contributing to the conversation. But then, a couple of minutes later, Dan looked at me and asked, "wait...do you have a tattoo?"

"Um, yeah. On the right side of my lower back."

To which Shannon replied with wide eyes, "Oh my gosh, I can't believe I just called you a tramp." She had no idea I had a tattoo...none of them did. Which made the entire conversation hilarious...but also made me wonder who else in my group of friends doesn't know? I've known Shannon for almost three years now, and Dan for that long or longer, so I assumed they knew...either because they'd seen it or because it had come up in conversation. But apparently not.

So um, yeah...if you didn't know, now you do. I have a small tattoo (of my fraternity letters) on the right side of my lower back. I've had it for almost ten years. In fact, I've had it for so long that I sometimes forget it's there. But it is. And I love it...even at the (previously unknown) risk of giving guys the wrong impression.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: Wicked, and The Faith Club

Comments

Popular Posts