every piece of the puzzle is important to the bigger picture

"We will use these stones to build a memorial. In the future, your children will ask, 'What do these stones mean to you?' Then you can tell them."
(Joshua 4: 6-7)

Last week, a friend and I were having a conversation about scrapbooking - why we scrapbook, how behind we both are, what projects we're working on - when the subject of ex's in scrapbooks came up. (Ex-boyfriend for her, ex-husband for me.) Because, see, depending on how far back one's project lists extend, it may be that there are pages to be scrapbooked (of vacations, of celebrations, even of the wedding) that could include photos of an ex.

I say "could" because, by being this far behind, the opportunity exists to exclude any mention of the ex. And I suppose that, if the separation happened recently enough, it would be pretty tempting to do just that. But you know what? In the past few years, I've chosen to do the opposite...to make a conscious effort to let my scrapbooking reflect life as it was at that point in time...even if it includes the former Mr. Sleepeybear and his family.

Why? Well, even though the relationship ended sadly, there was a lot of happiness contained in that five years...a lot of good memories that still make me smile. So it seems silly to pretend those things didn't happen...to forget those special moments. But more importantly, the experience of that five years - good and bad - contributed to me being who I am today. To overlook that period of time leaves out a significant part of my story and ignores the strength and determination it took to move past the hurt of losing the person I shared some really wonderful memories with. So I've never considered leaving or taking him out of my scrapbooks (finished or otherwise). He was part of my life...a chapter in the story I'll tell my children one day...a small piece of my legacy.

But only that - one piece.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: When God Winks by SQuire Russell

Comments

Popular Posts