things you'd rather not hear at the movie theater

Saturday night, my friend Tabitha and I took advantage of her husband's kindness to go see a chick flick - "Made of Honor." Fun movie...a bit typical...but entertaining and sweet nonetheless. However, what really made the movie was a comment from one of our fellow movie-goers.

First, let me set the scene. Early in the movie, the bride's grandmother becomes the unwitting recipient of two sets of "glow-in-the-dark thunder beads" at the...ummm..."women's toy party" held at the bridal shower. She thinks they're necklaces, and wears them as such. Later, during a more darkly-lit scene, there she is, wearing the strands of thunder beads, and they're glowing brilliantly. It's pretty funny.

But so we're sitting there, laughing at the grandmother's glow-in-the-dark "necklace", when we hear the older man sitting behind us say to his wife, "maybe we should get you some of those." Yes, he said this. Not in a whisper we inadvertently overheard. In an almost normal voice in a public place, he told his wife she should consider purchasing these...toys. To not burst out laughing was so extremely difficult, because it would have been so obvious that we were laughing at him...but wow. Thankfully, we were able to hold most of it in until we left the movie theater...then all we had to do was look at each other before we practically fell over laughing.

What a comment to hear!

Where I am: Lebanon, OH
What I'm reading: Remind Me Again Why I Need a Man by Claudia Carroll

Comments

OH Joneses said…
I still have to giggle just thinking about it!
Anonymous said…
I went on yahoo to look up the direct quote from "Made of Honor" about the glow-in-the-dark thunder beads to explain to my mother how funny the grandmother was. Your blog was the first non-spam-like site I found, and I nearly fell over when I saw some of your descriptors. I'm in the Pi as well, I'm from PA, and I used to belong to ACPA. Small world! I just thought it was crazy and had to share! Bro love!

Popular Posts