as if airline travel isn't difficult enough already

When it comes to traveling, I love to fly. Granted, roadtrips have their appeal - speeding down the interstate, rocking out to the radio, retreating into my own little world for any number of hours. There's a lot to be said for the emotional and mental calm I often find on the road. But I also love that sense of weightlessness when the plane's wheels first leave the ground, the beauty of flying through the clouds at sunset and the amazing access that planes provide to the rest of the country and the world.

Now I will admit that air travel can be frustrating sometimes. In the past few years, security lines have gotten longer, ticket prices have jumped significantly, downtime in the airports has increased, and so on. Personally, I've never really minded the downtime that comes from arriving earlier than ever for flights or from long layovers...for me, it's time to catch up on work, read a book, write in my journal or just rest my brain altogether with gossip magazines and people-watching. And honestly? I miss flying. The last time I was on a plane was March...and none of the travel I have planned this summer requires airtime. Which makes me a bit sad.

Then I heard today's news about American Airlines implementing a fee for checked luggage. But not the second bag...not the overweight bag. Oh no. Starting in June, American Airlines will begin charging customers a fee for checking even one piece of luggage. Now I realize that flying costs more in today's economy. I get that. But this just seems wrong. Isn't the process of packing bags and ensuring you meet carry-on vs. checked baggage regulations challenging enough? Isn't the boarding process already a tedious, drawn-out headache as people maneuver for the most strategically-placed overhead compartments? Apparently not.

Here's hoping that none of the other airlines fall prey to this or any other ridiculous cost-covering tactic. Because if this keeps up, I just might decide to be happy about the lack of air travel in my foreseeable future.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

Comments

Popular Posts