is it summer blockbuster time already?

When Mom and I went to the movies on Saturday, I realized just how quickly this year is passing. Because logically, I know it's mid-April (even if I'm not quite sure how that happened)...but it wasn't until I saw the posters and previews in the theater that it sunk in just how close summertime is. Because really, nothing says "summer's coming" quite like the advertising for high-profile action movies and animated features! And personally? I'm kinda excited about this summer's line-up, especially these:

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (May 16) - Because I liked The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe enough that I want to see the second in the series.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (May 23) - Yes, the title's a mouthful. Yes, it's been a long time - perhaps too long - since the last movie. And yes, Harrison Ford seems a bit too old to reprise this role. But honestly? It's Indiana Jones...I can't pass that up! The sense of mystery, exotic adventure and good's triumph over evil is just too tempting. (The addition of Shia LaBeouf doesn't hurt, either!)

Kung Fu Panda (June 6) - Will this be good? I don't know. Probably not. But it looks cute, and I always have a soft spot for panda bears. (And somewhere, Josh Coonrod is weeping even bigger tears over my movie standards.)

Wall-E (June 27) - As someone who insisted on seeing Finding Nemo in the theater, I am very much looking forward to this new flick from Pixar. The brief snippets of catchy trailers that have been playing in recent months have definitely hooked me, and then - as if those weren't enough - there's the adorable cardboard model in the theater lobby:

The Dark Knight (July 18) - Can't. Wait. After loving Batman Begins, I am way too psyched to find out what Christopher Nolan does with the Joker story. Even if the Joker's raw, edgy new look gives me the total creeps. This is possibly my top pick of summer movies to see.

And then there are the movies the studios have yet to really start pushing...which makes me wonder just how good they may (or may not) be...like The Happening (June 13 - which hooks me with Mark Wahlberg, but makes me very, very hesitant about another movie from M. Night Shymalan, whose Lady in the Water really turned me off of his recent work) and Hancock (July 4 - which seems hard to doubt, if only because it stars Will Smith). Interestingly, it seems as though the studios got together to coordinate their release dates...nothing seems to really be competing against anything else. All in all, it looks to be a good summer for the movies.

Oh, and if you're wondering what Mom and I saw this weekend, it was Leatherheads. Solid movie - an entertaining, funny, light-hearted film that does a great job of letting George Clooney, Renee Zellweger and John Krasinski (hello!) flirt and banter in a way reminiscent (to me, at least) of old films like Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed in It's a Wonderful Life. Also woven in is a sub-plot that very vaguely explores the concept of athletes as superstars, which - in light of the professional athletes' fame today - raises interesting questions. Definitely a fun movie to see on a Saturday afternoon.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: Three Dollars by Elliott Perlman
Where I'm getting all this movie info: IMDB

Comments

Popular Posts