the world outside my apartment

Working from home, I can go for days without leaving my apartment complex. This isn't necessarily a bad thing...but it does keep me a little isolated from what's going on, especially since I don't watch the local news or listen to the radio while I'm home. So imagine my surprise to get a call from Mom a little while ago, asking if everything was okay. Here's a general idea of how the conversation went:

Mom: "Is everything okay?"
Me: "Sure, why wouldn't it be?"
Mom: "Well, Dad just heard on the radio that Texas has deployed the National Guard to Houston to help with the flooding and evacuations, so we wanted to make sure you were okay."
Me: (silence as I try to figure out what she's talking about)

I mean, yes, I noticed the pouring rain we've had all day...but it's June in Houston...rain happens. (Even better - as I write this, it's sunny outside.) I just didn't realize how much rain was happening, until my parents (in Kentucky!!) heard about the possibly record-breaking amounts of rain that fell today in southeast Texas and were kind enough to fill me in on the crazy things that were happening here. So I go online, only to find out that the National Weather Service recorded almost six inches of rain in seventy-five minutes at the airport that's about ten minutes away from me. With more expected tomorrow.

If Mom and Dad hear any more news about the weather, I'll be sure to let you know.

Where I am: Home
What I'm reading: the latest news reports on the local flooding, and the weather forecast for this week

Comments

Dan said…
Just in case nobody told you, Angelina & Brad had the baby. The pictures were worth $4 million. Don't want you to be out of the loop, that can be embarrassing..

Popular Posts