finishing what I started

Last night, I finally finished an album that I'd been working on for the past three years...but that some people felt I shouldn't bother with after the drama of last summer. Why? Because it's an album for the former mr. sleepeybear - an album I'd begun making for him when our life was still good, to commemorate his five years in the military. Suggestions for what I should do with it ranged from the minor (toss it) to the extreme (burn it)...and they definitely didn't include finishing it. But even though it's taken me this long to complete it...even though I had to build some pretty strong emotional barriers to be able to work on it...I never considered not finishing these pages. Why not? First and foremost, because I hate the idea of not finishing something I've started. I put a lot of effort into getting this album underway, so it seemed like a waste to not follow through.

But underneath that desire for completion was something more emotional, something more personal. Perhaps my most compelling reason for finishing this album was because he didn't think I would. Basically, I wanted to prove him wrong. To prove that I'm a better person than he seemed to think I was at the end of our relationship. To prove that I could never be the vindictive scorned woman who just throws someone else's things away...even though he seemed convinced that's who I was going to be, and truly believed that he'd never see the photos and other items in this album ever again. And yes, I was pretty offended to think that's how he saw me in the last few months of our interaction. But it also helped me realize that he didn't really know me anymore...and maybe he never had.

So I finished his album. To prove him wrong...to have the last word...to give myself closure...and to revel in that feeling known as "being the bigger person" and "doing the right thing"...even if my motives are purely selfish. Because I do hope he likes it...but most of all, I hope he thinks of me every time he sees it.



Where I am: Home
What I'm reading: the latest Chronicle of Higher Education

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think you should mail it to his parents. Even if he would hate it, they might like the photos of their kid. Then you have your closure and have forced him to make the decision as to dispose of it or not. If he does, that just makes him the heartless and bitter ex. And you still win. It's beautiful by the way!
The Rube said…
How anyone can think of you as a vindictive, scorned woman is beyond me. I've never seen that side of you and I have trouble believing it even exists.

Our strength is measured by how we deal with the adverse and unexpected. I think you're doing quite well...I'll raise a glass to closure and moving on to better days.
Mellissa said…
I think this what the right thing to do. I think you will feel better about and it symbolizes another part of closure.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go throw out a framed picture from one of my ex boyfriends (LOL)...

Nice site you have here Lee!

Mellissa
Anonymous said…
You're my hero! And that's all I have to say about that :-)

Popular Posts