Ummmm....yeah.

Any time I hold information meetings on a campus, there are inevitably going to be students who aren't able to attend. They have class, or are scheduled to work, or have already made other plans. So they'll send me an email asking how they can obtain more information and how they can get involved. Which is fine...no problem. I completely understand that some students aren't able to adjust their schedules on a week's notice, and am happy to offer information outside of the formal meetings.

But every once in a while, I'll get an email that just boggles my mind. You know those emails...the ones where you want to ask what they're smoking. For example (and this is a direct quote!):

"I am involved in many extracurricular activities (too much actually) and as a result missed the meeting, not to mention forget to e-mail regarding information roughly one month later!"

Now if you were interested in joining an organization, is it really wise to admit that you're already in too many groups? I mean, I appreciate the honesty, but really. If you don't know anything about the group, and have no idea what the membership requirements are, is it wise to admit first thing that your plate is already so full that it's causing challenges in your schedule? Those in the audience who are brothers will really understand my perplexity here...because while I'm sure this student is a great person, with wonderful intentions, they can't honestly expect that this makes a good impression. Can they?

Where I am: Athens, OH

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is a PSA to tell you that the trailer for Happy Feet is on the Harry Potter 4 DVD. Just because I know penguins make you happy. (Even when people push them off their iceberg!) Miss you!

Popular Posts