Fun in DC - part 2

(Because you know you've been dying to hear the rest of my story!)

After spending the first half of last week in a conference, I got to spend the second half sightseeing with Mom, who flew in for a long weekend. Originally, Dad was supposed to come, too, but poor guy had to work...so we made it a girls' weekend, and enjoyed every bit!

We started with a day at the Smithsonian, because honestly? These are amazing museums, and they're FREE! Seriously, people, if you've never been to a single one of the Smithsonian museums, you're missing out in a big way.



First up was a stop at the Air & Space Museum, because I wanted to see the Close Encounters model Dave mentioned...but apparently I don't pay attention to details, because if I had, I would have known that the model is not at the museum on the Mall, but over at the airport. Oh well...we got some cool airplane pictures for Dad.

Then it was over to the Sackler Gallery, to see some amazing work by the Japanese artist Hokusai. Who? You've probably seen at least one of his pieces...if you've ever seen the print of the men in the canoe being towered over by a gigantic wave, with Mount Fuji in the background, that's Hokusai. (Not the greatest description on my part, but trust me - you've seen it.)



Next on the list was the Natural History Museum. (Does that surprise anyone? Didn't think so.) There are two must-sees here: the first is the gems and minerals gallery. Now maybe it's just me...but are these sapphires enormous or what?! As much as I love me some sapphires, I think I'll stick with the smaller stones.



And just in case you feel the need to learn something today, here's a little factoid for you - when Harry Winston donated the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian back in the day, he mailed it. Through the Post Office. In a regular old box. Can you imagine? That so couldn't happen today!

From gems and minerals, we headed to the second must-see: the mammals gallery, full of all the stuffed animals they could get their hands on. My brilliant observation of the day? (direct quote) "It's like the zoo, only better, because they don't move." (Yeah, yeah.) I was very impressed with the gallery, though - rather than sticking the animals on row after row of shelves, they've created these awesome dioramas that make the animals seem as if they'll come to life any second. Almost a little spooky.



Friday we spent the day (yes, the entire day) at Tyson's Corner mall (if you know Tyson's Corner, you totally understand!), and Saturday we visited Old Town Alexandria, where we found some neat little antique shops and ate some delicious sushi. (Koto - on King Street. Yum!!) Then Sunday arrived (all too soon), and it was time for Mom to go home. After seeing her off, I spent the afternoon strolling around the Mall, taking photos of the various monuments and memorials, and enjoying a sunny (if windy) day.


(the World War II Memorial)


(the Korean War Memorial)


(the obligatory Washington Monument photo)

Then, as I made my circuit, I discovered a monument I hadn't seen (or perhaps noticed) before...the DC World War Memorial. It's a monument to the DC residents who died in what, at the time, was the only World War. It's a simple yet beautiful site, tucked into the trees, and its slight isolation only seemed to make it more appealing. It doesn't honor presidents or thousands...just a small group of local people who fought for a cause greater than themselves...and that seems just as honorable.



So that's it...that's what I did on my trip to DC. But don't despair that the end of the story has arrived - the sequel arrives in a couple of months, with even better pictures and stories, when the brothers formerly known as consultants hit up DC for what is becoming our annual reunion. Ahh, the fun that awaits!

Where I am: Home
What I'm reading: Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Comments

Anonymous said…
The DC war memorial has always been one of my favorites. It used to be a bandstand actually, but they don't use it for that anymore. We always try to wander past it when I'm at home.

Totally jealous of your time in DC. And I'll have to go back and check out the mammal gallery again. Before they updated it, it was just row upon row of stuffed animals.

Kerry
Dan said…
Keep visiting, we'll be living about 15 minutes north of DC when we move!

And the couch is still open.

Popular Posts