I feel old!

So rather than spend the weekend in Lancaster, with nobody to hang out with (since my partners in crime from Friday night all flew home Saturday), I drove down to the D.C. area yesterday to hang out with Esther, one of my fellow consultants from last year. All in all, it was a really fun weekend...I have extended family in the area, so I've spent a fair amount of time in and around D.C., but it was wonderful to see some new stuff, and catch up with Esther.

We started Saturday evening with a stop at the World War II memorial, where we ended up having a conversation with two men from South Africa...totally random (especially the kisses on the cheek when we said goodbye), but interesting...too bad they were a bit on the Dad side of the age spectrum. Then we had a delicious (!!!) seafood dinner at McCormick & Schmick's, where I discovered Riesling wine, which is honestly the first wine I've ever really, really liked. They also had fantastic staff...we had great conversations with the waiter, the hostess, even the manager. And oh yeah...the food was delicious, too. I highly recommend this place!

From there, it was on to the DC Improv comedy club for a show...all three of the comedians we saw were extremely entertaining! And then we joined some of Esther's friends at a local bar. This is where the "feeling old" part comes in. First, it was a college bar...and it's been long enough since I'd been in one that I'd forgotten the fantastic fun of being squeezed into a place like sardines (I almost made it through the night without getting a drink spilled on me...almost!). There was also a DJ...not quite as good as Friday's DJ, but good enough. Now, my knees were already a little out of sorts after Friday night...after dancing Saturday night, too (even on a lesser scale), they feel like they're going to fall apart. Really. Any moment, I expect my knees to be MIA. The simple act of standing up is painful...that didn't stop me and Esther from stopping by Alexandria and the Torpedo Factory for a short visit this afternoon, but it does make me feel just a little old.

Ah, the sacrifices we make for good times...but you know what? Sore knees are nothing...and I mean nothing...compared to the absolutely grand weekend I had! I'm just glad I'm at desk this week. =)

Where I am: Lancaster, PA
What I'm reading: You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar

Comments

Popular Posts