A lightbulb moment

For a long while, I'd thought that, in order to move on from everything that has happened this year, I needed to be able to put some sense of closure on the past five years of my life. But I realized today that one can (and maybe has to) happen without the other. See, I realized that I'm never really going to understand the choice that Steven made...no matter how much time goes by, I'm never going to completely get over his decision to walk away. So I can either sit around and nurture a broken heart for the rest of my life. Or I can bandage my heart up, accept the fact that it's still going to hurt from time to time, and move forward. Because if I could make myself forget everything, I would...but short of knocking myself over the head to cause amnesia, I haven't figured out just quite how to do that! So I'm going to move on...trust that, eventually, the new memories will far outweigh the old...and maybe even hope that, one day far in the future, the hurt will finally be gone forever.

"As long as the stars shine down from the heavens,
Long as the rivers run to the sea,
I'll never get over you getting over me."
- Expose'

Where I am: Home
What I'm reading: the latest issue of Boston College Magazine

Comments

Anonymous said…
And maybe even someday you can look back on the good times and smile without thinking about the bad. But I know it'll take a looong time...
Good luck and I heart you!
The Rube said…
I vote for bandaging and moving forward too. Life is just more enjoyable that way. And the happier you are, the more fun our random get togethers will be.

Did that sound selfish?
Anonymous said…
I vote for a bottle of wine. Sometimes a temporary fix is just as useful those long term ones. Besides, good libations with great friends is always a great cure for what ails you. Oh and football. Lots of football. Here's hoping you feel better and your team keeps winning!

Popular Posts