Everyone should visit "Elizabethtown"

There are some movies that are entertaining because they take you places you'll never get to go: like a dinosaur-inhabited island in "Jurassic Park", or Middle Earth in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Then there are movies you enjoy and love because there's something familiar and comforting about the story, or the setting, or the script, that connects on that subconscious level in a way you don't fully understand. "Elizabethtown" was one of those movies.

That the film is set in Kentucky, not far from where my parents live, has everything to do with my surprising attachment to this movie. The curvy roads through the Kentucky countryside, with trees on both sides and wickedly easy to get lost on...really exist, and are a hell of a thing to drive on late at night when you're tired! The Ale-8 that they show Orlando Bloom drinking...is yummily tasty and should be distributed nationally (or at least in Texas, so I could buy it here)! The quirkiness of the people, complete with a hesitancy about the West Coast...is something I experienced fully when we moved to Kentucky from California! In short, there are so many things about this movie that remind me of home, and all its uniquities.

And I have to admit that I love the story itself - the idea that, win or lose, succeed or fail, somone might fall in love with you just for who you are, and that knowing someone loves you for being yourself might be one of the best feelings in the world. So if you haven't seen "Elizabethtown", you really should pay it a visit.

Where I am: Home
What I'm reading: Coincidence by David Ambrose, and Watership Down by Richard Adams

Comments

Popular Posts