What I Did on My Vacation (so far)

Day 1 - Christmas Eve
Morning - Being the first day of my holiday, it seemed appropriate to sleep...a lot! So after making my sweetie breakfast in bed, I jumped under the covers with him and went back to sleep.

Afternoon - Was a little bored, so popped in "Double Jeopardy" while the husband went to the gym (he's so darn motivated...argh)...about midway through, he called to tell me we were celebrating Christmas and his uncle's birthday Christmas eve (tonight), not Christmas day. Used the remaining movie time to wrap the last few presents for my in-laws and make a birthday card for his uncle, then jumped in the shower to get ready. On our way to the in-laws, we also had to make a pitstop at Target...the coffeemaker broke a couple days earlier, and there was no way he was making it through Christmas without coffee. (Talk about just in time...as we're checking out at Target, the announcement comes over the intercom that Target will be closing in five minutes. Phew - we narrowly avoided a MAJOR catastrophe there!)

Evening - Had a delicious BBQ dinner with the in-laws, and celebrated Christmas. Lots of great presents, my favorite of which has to be the pumpkin vine loaf pan from Williams-Sonoma that my mother-in-law searched out for me. I love it, and can't wait to make some yummy pumpkin bread in it! But the best part of the evening, hands down, was the drive home through the snow that was falling. Yes, snow...in Houston...for Christmas. This was one happy girl! I reverted to the five-year old who is so excited that she can't sit still, highly amusing my husband in the process. Isn't this a beautiful sight?

My truck in the snow, Christmas Eve 2004

Our footprints in the snow, Christmas Eve 2004

Day 2 - Merry Christmas!
Morning - Presents! More presents! After waking up to see the snow still sticking around, we opened up our Christmas presents from each other and from my family. My favorite of the morning? That would have to be the handy little pedometer and Academy gift card (so I can buy new walking shoes!) from Steven...now, when I walk, my recorded distances will be a little more descriptive than "five laps around the bayou".

Afternoon - We spent the rest of the morning and some of the afternoon breaking in some of our new DVD's. Mom and Dad sent Steven "The Bourne Identity" and "The Bourne Supremacy", and those were a nice way to relax for a few hours. Then it was dogsitting time...we went to one of Steven's coworker's house to check on their two doggies, and I had a great time playing with the Golden Retriever! He was great at fetch, and that friendly dog you want to wrestle and play with all day...except when he peed on his tennis ball, and then chewed on it. Yeah, that was a turnoff...but could explain the bad breath.

Evening - For the past few years, we've had a tradition of Chinese food for Christmas...this year, we continued the tradition with a yummy shrimp stir-fry. After dinner, since it was still early, we broke out another new DVD, "Signs". (I tried to convince Steven that "Sound of Music" on ABC would be just as entertaining, but he didn't buy it.) Even though I have seen that movie countless times, the music people did such a good job scoring it that it is still spooky.

So that's what I've been up to so far...stay tuned for more!


Popular Posts