celebrating a favorite holiday



When I completely clear off the countertop and wash it down - well, that can only mean one thing. It's time to make king cake!

I cannot explain why New Orleans intrigues me so...why I find the music, setting and yes - food so appealing. Curiously, it's a city that has claimed a permanent spot in my heart.



And so, once a year, I bury my hands in simple dough and sweet sugars to knead, shape and decorate a Mardi Gras king cake.



I have to admit, it's a bit disheartening that most of the people in my local world don't know what Mardi Gras is...that my colleagues know it more as the day I bring a tasty treat to the office than as a cultural heritage. Because I would love to really celebrate Mardi Gras - to get a circle of friends together to enjoy dinner and "let the good times roll." But for now, I'll take a small measure of satisfaction and joy from the bit of Mardi Gras I bring to my current place in life and smile as my colleagues enjoy their slice of deliciousness.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: The Wishing Year by Noelle Oxenhandler

Comments

Popular Posts